Decitabine (By injection)
Treats myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS).
Dacogen, Decitabine Novaplus, PremierPro Rx DecitabineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to decitabine, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. You may receive this medicine either as a 3-day or 5-day regimen.
- You may also receive medicines to help prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Women should use an effective form of birth control during treatment and for 6 months after the last dose. Male patients with female partners should use an effective form of birth control during treatment and for 3 months after the last dose.
- Do not breastfeed during treatment with this medicine and for at least 1 week after the last dose.
- Tell your doctor if have any type of infection.
- Talk with your doctor before receiving this medicine if you plan to have children. Some men who receive this medicine have become infertile (unable to have children).
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Cancer medicine can cause nausea or vomiting, sometimes even after you receive medicine to prevent these effects. Ask your doctor or nurse about other ways to control any nausea or vomiting that might happen.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, cold or pale skin
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Small red or purple spots on your skin
- Swelling in your face, hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, joint or muscle pain
- Heartburn, indigestion, stomach pain
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea
- Redness, pain, swelling, or itching where the needle was placed
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved