Diphenhydramine (By injection)
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (dye-fen-HYE-dra-meen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats severe allergic reactions, motion sickness, and symptoms of Parkinson disease.
BD Simplist diphenhydrAMINE Hydrochloride, Banaril, PremierPro Rx diphenhydrAMINE HClThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to diphenhydramine, or if you are breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI).
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have glaucoma, asthma, thyroid problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, a stomach ulcer, prostate problems, or trouble urinating.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry nose, mouth, or throat
- Pain, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
- Sleepiness, tiredness
- Stomach upset
- Thick mucus in your nose or throat
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved