Fluciclovine F 18 (By injection)
Fluciclovine F 18 (floo-SIK-loe-veen F 18)
Given just before a PET scan (positron emission tomography) to help detect prostate cancer.
AxuminThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to fluciclovine F 18.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It is given through a needle placed in one of your veins just before you have a PET scan.
- Avoid significant exercises for at least 1 day before the PET scan.
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 4 hours before you receive this medicine (other than small amounts of water for taking other medicines).
- Urinate right away and as often as possible for at least 1 hour after the scan. This will help remove this radioactive medicine from your body.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or other medical problems.
- You will be exposed to radiation while you receive this medicine. If you have any questions about this, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, redness, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved