Alprostadil (Into a vein)
Treats certain heart, lung, and blood vessel problems in infants.
Prostin VR PediatricThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not let your baby receive this medicine if he had an allergic reaction to alprostadil.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give your baby this medicine. It is given through a needle or a catheter placed in a vein. It may also be given through a catheter in your baby's umbilical cord.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell caregivers if your baby has problems with breathing, digestion, or bleeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Redness, swelling, or leaking from the IV site
- Seizures, fainting, or becoming limp
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, swollen belly, vomiting, or other digestion problems
- Fever, unusual warmth or redness of the skin, or problems keeping a warm body temperature
- Joint swelling, or a decrease in movement of the arms or legs
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved