Antibiotic/Anti-inflammatory combinations (Into the eye)
Treats infections of the eye and eye irritation, swelling, and redness.
Blephamide, Blephamide S.O.P., Maxitrol, Neo-Polycin HC, Pred-G, Pred-G S.O.P., TobraDex ST, Tobradex, ZyletThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to any antibacterial medicines or to steroids, such as cortisone, hydrocortisone, or prednisone.
How to Use This Medicine:
Ointment, Liquid, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- To use the ointment: Hold the tip of the tube close to your eye with the other hand. Avoid touching the tip of the tube to your eye or finger. Squeeze a ribbon of ointment into the pocket between your lower lid and eyeball. Close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wipe the tip with a clean tissue and close the tube tightly. Keep the tube tightly closed when you are not using it.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma, cataracts, or any other eye condition before taking this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe eye irritation that was not there before using this medicine
- Vision changes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging, redness, or burning of the eye
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.