Progesterone (Into the vagina)
Increases the amount of progesterone in your body. Used as part of treatment for infertility. Also treats menstrual periods that have stopped before menopause.
Crinone, Endometrin, First-Progesterone VGS 100There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to progesterone or if you have a history of liver disease, cancer of the breast or genitals, or blood clots (including stroke or heart attack).
How to Use This Medicine:
Gel/Jelly, Suppository, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. Use this medicine only in your vagina. Do not swallow it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Vaginal gel:
- This medicine comes in a prefilled, disposable applicator. Use each applicator only once, and then throw it away.
- This medicine may leak out of your vagina during the day. You may wear a sanitary pad to protect your clothing, but do not use a tampon. You might see small, white drops of gel up to several days after you insert the medicine.
- Vaginal tablet:
- This medicine comes with a disposable applicator. Place the tablet in the applicator and then insert the applicator into your vagina. Use each applicator only once, and then throw it away.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Vaginal tablet: Avoid using douches or other vaginal products unless your doctor tells you to.
- Vaginal gel: Do not use other vaginal medicines within 6 hours of the time you insert the gel.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, heart disease, migraine headaches, epilepsy, asthma, kidney disease, or a history of depression.
- This medicine may cause blood clots, which may lead to serious problems such as stroke, embolism, or thrombosis.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, or coughing up blood
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual, heavy, or nonstop vaginal bleeding or discharge
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Constipation, nausea, cramps
- Mild headache
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved